2013 Climate Change and Human Health Online Workshops
The Institute for the Application of Geospatial Technology (IAGT) and The Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) of the Earth Institute at Columbia University under funding by NASA Innovations for Climate Education have created the CHANGE Viewer, an online educational mapping tool to help classroom teachers build lessons to illustrate the effect of climate change on human health. The CHANGE Viewer provides access to climate and human datasets needed to ask, visualize, and answer questions about where and how climate change will impact people around the world.
We are offering Online Workshops to engage educators in integrating the CHANGE Viewer and the associated activities investigating impacts of climate change on human health into their teaching environment.
You have two options to attend the Online Workshop:
Tuesday, August 13 (12pm-3pm EST; 11am-1pm CST; 9am-12pm PST)
Thursday, August 15, 2013 (12pm-3pm EST; 11am-1pm CST; 9am-12pm PST)
The goals of the Climate Change and Human Health Summer Institutes are:
· Provide training to high school educators to confidently use the CHANGE Viewer to engage students in investigating and asking their own questions about the impacts of climate change on human health around the world.
· Use activities developed for the CHANGE Viewer to explore desertification, disease, migration, food security, natural disasters, rising sea levels and water resources.
· Build competency for educators to develop their own lessons using the CHANGE Viewer.
During the Climate Change and Human Health Institutes, educators will:
· Learn how to engage students to think critically and spatially about the impacts of climate change on human health.
· Receive hands-on training exploring the activities developed for use with the CHANGE Viewer.
· Explore tools and techniques that incorporate geospatial technologies into educational environments.
Each 2013 Climate Change and Human Health Online Workshop for Educators is limited to 40 teachers. By filling out the application below, you can provide us with more information about you and your interest in attending an Online Workshop.
Applications are due and notification of acceptance will be by August 12, 2013. U.S. participants accepted to the Online Workshop that complete the following expectations after the workshop can receive a $50 stipend:
· Use at least one activity in your classroom.
· Participate in Post-Teaching Reflective Analysis after using activities.
· Provide feedback from student participation.